Project: Save Water Cause Campaign
Funding Partner: METRO Cash and Carry India & Colgate Palmolive (India) Limited
Years of Association: Since April 2018
Duration: March 2018 – November 2019
Project Cost (INR): Rs. 578,005/-
Location: Rajnagar Block in Birbhum district, West Bengal; Chikhaldara block in Amravati district, Maharashtra
About the Project
In Birbhum district of West Bengal, the initiative led to the formation of community drinking water points and sanitation and drinking water facilities for schools in three villages – Amlachaturi, Belbuni, and Koradangal – located in Bhabanipur gram panchayat. Whereas, in the Amravati district of Maharashtra, the interventions included a piped water supply scheme with individual household connections and a functional household tap connection (FHTC) along with drinking water for primary schools in Dhomnifata, Bhilkheda and Wadad.
- Providing drinking water in schools and communities.
- Establishing operation and maintenance (O&M) system along with Water User Committees.
- Promoting hygiene in schools and communities through wall messaging and interpersonal communication.
Scale of Impact
A total of 187 students and 508 locals have been benefited through piped-water connections and community water points.
- Providing access to safe and reliable drinking water in schools and communities.
- Ensuring regular O&M of the new WASH facilities through Child Cabinets.
- Reducing the dropout rate and improving overall attendance in schools.
- Establishing accountability among village communities for sustainable water services.
Replication and Scaling Up
Considering the positive outcomes, the successful model will be replicated in other schools, Anganwadi centres, and village communities. While the existing areas will receive continued support.