Project: Swachh Parivesh Swachh Vidyalaya (Clean Environment Clean School)
Funding Partner: Suez Foundation India
Years of Association: Since July 2019
Duration: July 2019 – 2020
Project Cost (INR): Rs.1,039,200/-
Location: Kolkata Municipality, Ward No. 3, West Bengal
About the Project
The project launched as part of WASH in Schools (WiNS) focused on renovating the sanitary provisions, handwashing stations, drinking water facilities, and other WASH infrastructure, in government-aided schools of Kolkata. The initiative was rolled under the Swachh Parivesh Swachh Vidyalaya (Clean Environment Clean School) project in two schools – Belgachia Urdu High Co-Ed school and Shilpakala Shiksha Mondir.
- Ensuring improved access to child-friendly WASH facilities by retrofitting and renovating existing sanitary infrastructure, handwashing stations, and drinking water facilities in schools.
- Establishing operation and maintenance (O&M) mechanism for uninterrupted and optimum functionality of new WASH facilities.
- Imparting the School Management Committee to prioritize WASH as a key component of education.
- Promoting hygiene education through events engaging students and communities.
Scale of Impact
Around 3000 students reached in Belgachia Urdu High Co-Ed School and Manohar Academy reached
- Targeted schools now have improved WASH facilities with a dedicated fund for O&M.
- Students actively enlist in Child Cabinets and take pride in the maintenance of their school WASH facilities.
- Belgachia Urdu High School: 1387 students (555 boys and 832 girls), Child Cabinet members: 21 (7 boys and 14 girls)
- Manohar Academy with three schools run in shifts – 1205 students; (856 boys and 349 girls); Child Cabinet members: 68 (30 boys and 38 girls)
- Children are influencing the behaviour of their parents, neighbours, and siblings regarding water and sanitation.
Replication and Scaling Up
The initiative can gradually expand to integrating best practices in other schools by encouraging innovation, participation, ownership, and facilitating sustainable change