Water For People India is currently recruiting for the position of Project Incharge (Sheohar Initiatives). The position is a techno-managerial position responsible for leading and managing Water For People’s programme in Sheohar District of Bihar State. The position will be the interface with the state and Country Office and various stakeholders in the district and funding partners. S(he) will drive/manage the implementation of the Water For People – One Drop initiative implemented through the partner organizations, and provide oversight to the team based in Sheohar. The position is also responsible for influencing sectoral dialogue, nurturing partnerships and meeting all required compliances in the district.
|Position Title||Project Incharge (Sheohar Initiatives)|
|Organisation||Water For People India|
|Reporting to||State In Charge|
|Nature of Contract||Fixed Term Contract (Renewable)|
About the Organization:
Water For People India initiated its operations in West Bengal in 1996 in Nadia and North 24 Parganas districts. Consistent with the global vision and mission, we exist to promote the development of high-quality drinking water and sanitation services, accessible to all, and sustained by strong communities, businesses, and governments. Our organizational values are: accountability, courage, empowerment, partnership and transparency.
Water For People India programs have been implemented in 27 districts in the states of West Bengal, Bihar, Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Odisha. In all, nearly 1.2 million people have been reached through community drinking water and sanitation, WASH in public institutions (i.e. schools) and market led approaches to sanitation. By 2023, Water For People India programs aim to directly benefit 2.7 million people. We aim to build capacities at the district level which will contribute to organizational commitments, thereby indirectly benefitting 14.8 million people. Water For People India implements programs through locally registered non-government organizations.
The position is a techno-managerial position responsible for leading and managing Water For People’s programme in Sheohar District of Bihar State. The position will be the interface with the state and Country Office and various stakeholders in the district and funding partners. S(he) will drive/manage the implementation of the Water For People – One Drop initiative implemented through the partner organizations, and provide oversight to the team based in Sheohar. The position is also responsible for influencing sectoral dialogue, nurturing partnerships and meeting all required compliances in the district.
Key Functions / Responsibilities:
Programme Development, Management and Implementation :
- Implementation of the district wise initiative for improved district programmes/projects for increased use an sustainable management of WASH services; sustained adoption of targeted behaviours and improved market system for WASH products and services.
- Lead/manage the development of Programme/ Project work plans and budgets with the implementation partners, Project team with a view to implement quality programmes aimed at achieving committed outcomes and cost efficiencies.
- Review the programme progress through regular and periodic review meetings with the team, partners and stakeholders such as the local government institutions, government players.
- Bring to the attention of the line manager/senior management, any issues affecting achievement of programme operational plans and suggest mitigation measures.
Budget and Grant Management:
- Roll out and implement Water For People’s grants management systems and/or compliance as per donor agreements within the project and ensure adherence by teams and partner organizations (compliance, financial and programmatic reporting, monitoring and evaluation etc.).
- Approve all budgets and expenses related to programmes as per policy
- Support the Finance Officer for monthly monitoring of programme progress and expenditure against operational plans and budgets, along with actual program progress
- Support all programme and financial assessments, audits and compliance reviews and ensure integration of all recommendations
Funding Partnerships Management:
- Prepare for and participate in periodic review meetings with the funding partner, as required and submission of high quality reports on monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual progress (narrative and financial).
- Collaborate and participate for effective management of donor relationship. Participate in routine calls and communication with the donor, Water For People team and share updates on programme progress, achievements, challenges and data related queries (programmatic and financial).
- Provide required documents for sharing updates and draft any specific requests for Water For People management/donor.
- Engage and participate in all on-site visits, meetings and consultations.
- Support advocacy and networking with the block, district and state stakeholders
Team and Partner Management:
- Provide oversight, guidance and support to the project team for management of programme, conduct periodic meetings. Update and seek any required support from the line manager, as required.
- Responsible for roll out of HR and organisational policies
- Managing team performance, providing periodic feedback to the team and their performance reviews
- Put in place mechanisms for transparent and effective team communication, engender good team dynamics and resolve internal issues as required.
- Engage in all recruitments and processes as per organisational norms.
- Engage with the implementation partners and ensure partner-specific annual plans are developed (narrative and budgets), coordinate with finance team for cash flow as well as financial protocols and monthly monitoring of activities and budgets.
- Ensure regular communication with the Partners and share strategic updates, changes in programmes or donor requirements.
- In consultation with the line manager, develop mechanisms for synergistic efforts of partner organizations/program components (access, behaviour change and access to capital for improved WASH facilities), coordinated interface with the local government organizations and other stakeholders in the districts.
- Manage and guide the team in providing the requisite guidance and hand-holding support to the partners to enable the achievement of programme objectives and deliverables.
- Engage with the teams and partner organisations for preparation and submission of high quality partner reports (monthly, quarterly, six monthly and annual)
- In consultation with the communications team/point person, manage a local level process documentation work plan on programme approaches and processes, components and monitoring data.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Research & Learning (MERL):
- Maintain up-to-date primary data related to Programmes (secondary data and field based data).
- Lead/support and contribute to the design and implementation of MERL activities (routine/periodic).
- Participate in discussions and contribute to integration of findings from MERL for strengthening program strategy, components and cost effective approaches.
- Engage in the identification, documentation and dissemination of best practices and learnings at the district and state level.
- Lead/support/coordinate any training programmes for partner organisations, teams and other stakeholders
Office Management and Administration:
- Manage and ensure smooth day-to-day operations of the Office at Sheohar, including ensuring compliance to statutory and legal requirements in the state.
- Undertake operational and financial decision-making and give necessary approvals/sign-offs, as per WFP’s authority matrix/ guideline.
- Escalate critical/ sensitive issues to the Country Office in a timely manner and coordinate with various stakeholders (internal/ external) for effective management of State Office.
- Oversee administration of the Office and ensure that all procurements (including selection of consultants/ agencies) are made in a timely and efficient manner, in line with WFP’s guidelines.
Any Other :
- Any other task as assigned by Line Manager/Country Director
Education/Qualifications & Experience :
- Master’s Degree with specialization/work experience in at least one area (i) Water Resource Management, Water Systems Development; (ii) WASH; (iii) social behaviour change communication
- Minimum 07 to 10 years of relevant experience in similar organizational/ functional context.
- Prior experience of working in Bihar (up to 5 years).
- Experience of working with government stakeholders and government liaising.
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to forge effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders (at senior levels)
- Ability to manage, develop and motivate team to maximize their potential and drive performance.
- Ability to meet deadlines and achieve results, while maintaining congeniality and professionalism.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office, especially Spreadsheets, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
Physical Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Ability to travel domestically to project locations, where travel is rugged, up to 50% of time
- Required to work outside of normal business hours while traveling and when hosting international visitors.
Application Process & Last Date
Interested candidates with relevant experience should send a covering letter along with updated resume, compulsorily giving details of three references, Current and Expected compensation to [email protected] by or before 22nd November 2019. Please mention “Application for the post of “PROJECT INCHARGE” in the subject line. Water For People India is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and encourages diversity among staff. Well qualified women candidates, are encouraged to apply.
JobEmail Id: [email protected]